Sunday 28 October 2012

Lemon Drizzle Cake - Simple & All time favorite

I am not sure if all the bloggers out there share this same sentiment, an euphoric excitement before the first ever post on one's first ever blog :) I have read that usually people never expect blogging to be the kind of addiction that it eventually becomes! 
My first baking experience was a hit and I have to give full credit to the simple foolproof recipe. I was quite inspired about cooking from watching the movie 'Julie and Julia' :) followed by further encouragement from my best friend , Nimisha. With her by my side I baked my first ever Lemon drizzle cake. 
I have always loved the smell of fresh lemon and cake baking in oven. I am sure this recipe will keep you feeling fresh and relaxed. With bated breath I watched  the timer clock the set limit. Oh my god! that first bite off the tangy piece of soft cake, I was in heaven and I had a proud feeling, a sense of achievement!! The whole cake vanished literally before me as everyone gobbled up whatever pieces they could muster. Nikhil loved it and I needed no more compliments!!!
So here is the recipe which was fully adapted from the BBC Good Food website (Tana Ramsay recipe).

Lemon Drizzle Cake/Loaf
Lemon Drizzle Cake on display!


Ingredients:
FOR THE CAKE
225 g unsalted butter , softened
225 g caster sugar
4 eggs
finely grated zest 1 lemon
225 g self-raising flour

FOR THE DRIZZLE TOPPING

juice 1 & 1⁄2 lemon
85 g caster sugar
Method:
  • Heat oven to 180 C/fan 160 C/gas 4. 
  • Beat together 225 g softened unsalted butter and 225 g caster sugar until pale and creamy, then add 4 eggs, one at a time, slowly mixing through. 
  • Sift in 225 g flour, then add the finely grated zest of one lemon and mix until well combined. 
  • Line a loaf tin (8 x 21 cm) with grease proof paper, then spoon in the mixture and level the top with a spoon.
  • Bake for 45-50 mins until a thin skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean. 
  • While the cake is cooling in its tin, mix together the juice of 1 & 1/2 lemons and 85 g caster sugar to make the drizzle. Prick the warm cake all over with a skewer or fork, then pour over the drizzle - the juice will sink in and the sugar will form a lovely, crisp topping. 
  • Leave in the tin until completely cool, then remove and serve. 
Notes : Will keep in an airtight container for 3-4 days, or freeze for up to 1 month.

                                                          ♥ Thank you ♥

20 comments:

  1. Your first even comment ..my privilege! :)

    Very good Nammu ..Keep at it..always remember I am there for you..God Bless!

    Nimisha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nimisha :D (rest of the conversation over fone) :)

      Delete
  2. By simply reading your blog itself i thoughtfor a second i got a whiff of lemon from somewhere ! :) keep cooking nd blogging ! :) I've book marked this page for my weekend kitchen experiments ! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you....Do let me know how it turns out :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great Going Namitha.. Always im waiting for your receipes . Please post all the receipes .. Good Work :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rekha... will be posting the recipes you asked for soon :)

      Delete
  5. Dearest Nami....All the best wishes for the new venture and keep up the good work... :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. All the best wishes........................namikutta..............
    Looks very nice and yummmy.I am also planning to try your recipe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank youuu Sunnn......let me know how it turns out :)

      Delete
  7. Lovely! Exotic cake and seems to be one of those in the Food magazines!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Nami,

    This is Shaan. Its nice to heard that u started writing blog...And its of food recipe,, that's really good, becoz good tasty food makes u happy always....Anyway i am waiting for ur next successful recipe.....Cheers...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Super Nami...very nice blog...the cake looks yummy.way to go..waiting for the next one

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you Eliz....more recipes coming soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hmm...Yummy...Awesome blog and appetizing food :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nami....tried this one for our 2nd wedding Anniversary,came out awesome.......!!!! everyone liked it...keep posting moreeee... :D

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...