Wednesday 2 October 2013

Carrot & Beans Thoran {stir fry of sorts from Kerala}

Thani Naadan! (absolutely traditional). One of the most common comment from some of my friends were that I should post some day-to-day Kerala recipes which I cook @ home. These may be simple recipes, but they still have their takers (it seems). The only problem is my laziness to pull out my camera and take some good snaps before eating my meals :) Anyways this month I have decided to dedicate this space for some simple dishes right out of my kitchen... 
So this one here is a simple method of cooking for most types of vegetables. For this recipe I have combined beans + carrot (a personal fav among many others). So here's to traditions and traditional recipes!

Carrot  & Beans Thoran {stir fry of sorts from Kerala}

As I had to keep reminding myself to click the finished product, I thought why not keep clicking till it gets to the table!
Beans & Carrot Thoran


Ingredients:
Oil, as required
Few Mustard seeds
Few Curry leaves
1 Onion, finely chopped
2 Green chillies, slit lengthwise
2 Carrots, cut into small cubes
220 g Beans, finely chopped
1/3 cup Grated coconut
1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
Salt, to taste

Method:
  • Heat little oil in a pan and splutter mustard seeds followed by  curry leaves.
  • Add the chopped onions and slit green chillies. Saute then until onions start to turn translucent.
  • Now tip in the carrots and mix well. Cover and cook until the carrots are almost cooked.
  • Meanwhile mix the chopped beans, grated coconut, turmeric powder and salt in a bowl and add this to the cooked carrots.
  • Cover and cook further under medium heat for 5 mins.
  • Then remove the lid, mix well and cook until done.
Notes: Some people add water while cooking the vegetables but I prefer not to. Also it is believed that mixing the chopped vegetables with the grated coconut, turmeric and salt before cooking with your hands bring out more flavor :)

                                                               ♥ Thank You ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...