Be it 'Onam' or 'Vishu', festivals in Kerala always calls for a sumptuous vegetarian spread and this side dish sure has its place! In our home, Nikhil loves this dish and so it makes appearances at our dining table more often :) Its a quick recipe which comes together quite easily.
Recipe adapted from my amma
Vellarikka / Cucumber (half of a medium sized one, peeled and center scooped out), cut into small pieces
Salt, as required
Water, to cook
3/4 cup Grated Coconut plus 1 Tbsp for seasoning
Few Mustard seeds
Few Cumin seeds
2 Green Chillies, chopped roughly
Small piece Ginger, chopped roughly
1-2 cups Yoghurt
Oil, as required
Few Curry leaves
Few Dry Red Chillies
- Cover and cook the chopped Vellarikka / Cucumber in a pan with little water and salt until it becomes soft and glass like. (you can drain off excess water or use very little water while cooking)
- Meanwhile grind together grated coconut, mustard seeds, cumin seeds, green chillies, ginger and yoghurt to a paste.
- Now add the ground coconut mixture to cooked cucumber under low flame and cook further for 2-3 mins.
- Remove from fire and prepare the seasoning.
- Heat little oil in a pan and fry a Tbsp of grated coconut until it turns brown and add few dry red chillies and curry leaves. Pour this over the prepared pachadi in a dish.
Notes: You can change the consistency of this dish by varying the use of yoghurt as per your liking.
♥ Thank you ♥